I thought that cleaning the lawnmower's carburetor would be easy. I had found a blog that showed, with pictures, how to take the carburetor off and clean it.
Which would have worked, if our lawnmower looked like hers.
It's not even remotely like that.
When we went out to grab the air filter to take it with us (to guarantee getting a matching one) I realized that it looked like our carburetor was missing.
Our lawnmower matches the one on another blog. And cleaning it out is substantially harder than the other kind.
We're still going to give it a shot, just to see if we can do it, I think. But if we screw things up, we priced a new, comparable mower tonight. It's only $30 more than we paid for this one when we bought it new 7 years ago, so that's not too horrible.
We probably won't tackle this until Saturday; it will take a trip to Home Depot or Menards to get the new gasket and carb cleaner. And gloves. Definitely gloves.
But we were able to get some necessities tonight; we now have cat grease and cat litter, along with a new air filter and spark plug for our mower. The cat stuff is obviously the most important.